Sixth Form Careers
Sixth Form Careers
University? Apprenticeship? Sponsored Degree? Employment?
There are a wide range of possibilities so planning your progression from the sixth form is vital. To ensure you are well informed about the range of opportunities available to you, regularly check out the Careers Blog available on www.stpeterscareers.wordpress.com This contains links to a wide range of websites, information pages, labour market information, Apprenticeship and employment opportunities, specific careers information and relevant news items. This website is a ‘one stop shop for careers information’.
Further personalised guidance is however available from personal tutors and from registered careers advisers in the careers centre.
You can also access a wide range of useful careers information and talk to a trained careers adviser from the National Careers Service.
Careers appointments can be made by dropping into the Careers Centre or e-mailing Mrs Beeton at
Advice for students interested in Higher Education
- TARGETcareers university profiles give details such as number of students, student-staff ratio and average UCAS tariff needed: https://targetcareers.co.uk/university-hubs/
- A course search function allows you to browse thousands of courses by university, qualification level, study mode and region: https://targetcareers.co.uk/search/courses
- Find out what university rankings mean by looking at how they are calculated and what measures are used: https://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/choices-about-uni/384889-what-university-rankings-mean
- Take a look at these degree subject guides to help you decide what to study at university. Look at what content, teaching methods and contact hours would suit you best as well as what careers each subject might lead to: https://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/degree-subject-guides
- If you have a career area in mind, look at these various articles to help you understand what degrees would benefit your chosen path. From law to photography, design and TV there are over 15 different areas to explore: https://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/degree-subject-guides
- These university reviews tell you what the universities are really like and are written by current students: https://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/university-reviews
- Find out how much university will cost and get advice about tuition fees.https://targetcareers.co.uk/careers-advice/choices-about-uni/50-university-tuition-fees-and-funding
The UK’s 50 most popular universities for school leavers
- Find out the 50 most popular universities in the UK as voted for by school pupils: https://targetcareers.co.uk/top-50-unis
Target Careers website:- https://targetcareers.co.uk/
LMI For All www.lmiforall.org.uk is an online data portal, developed by the UK Commission for Employment and Skills, which brings together existing national sources of high quality labour market information (LMI) that can help inform your choices about careers.
Free guide for those interested in applying to Medical School from Premed projects: Applying to medical school guide
Building your CV
- Put together a CV that will show you in the best possible light, whether you are applying for work experience, an entry-level job or apprenticeships and similar programmes: https://targetcareers.co.uk/careers-advice/applications-and-interviews/198-how-to-write-a-cracking-school-leaver-cv
- Find out about online ability and aptitude tests for school leaver programmes, including numerical and verbal reasoning tests: https://targetcareers.co.uk/careers-advice/applications-and-interviews/44-online-ability-tests-for-school-leaver-programmes-and-apprenticeships
- Make sure your online application form stands out for the right reasons and helps you get the apprenticeship place you want: https://targetcareers.co.uk/careers-advice/applications-and-interviews/42-top-tips-for-filling-in-school-leaver-programme-application-forms
- How To Write an Effective CV [A Practical Guide] TEDJob
University application support
- Find out how to ace your UCAS application with advice articles on starting your statement, what you should include, how it should be structured and how you should handle offers: https://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/applying-for-uni
- Discover what is appropriate to wear for a university interview and what clothes you should avoid: https://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/applying-for-uni/314689-what-to-wear-for-a-university-interview
- Use our guide to deadlines to find out the key dates you need to know when applying to uni: https://targetcareers.co.uk/careers-advice/applying-for-uni/52-when-to-apply-for-university-through-ucas
- Find out about the different ways you can gain the work experience you need to impress employers and get hired, whether or not you go to university first: https://targetcareers.co.uk/careers-advice/skills-and-experience/388-work-experience-for-school-students-what-you-need-and-how-to-get-it
- Make the most of your work experience by finding out what to wear, how to impress and what you should do once it is completed: https://targetcareers.co.uk/careers-advice/skills-and-experience/313849-how-to-make-the-most-of-your-work-experience-placement
Advice for your gap year
- Thinking of taking a gap year before starting university or beginning work on an apprenticeship? Plan ahead so you get what you want out of your time out: https://targetcareers.co.uk/careers-advice/gap-years/180-how-to-have-a-well-planned-gap-year
- Volunteering: Gapforce 'What are the Benefits of Volunteering abroad?' fin out more: https://gapforce.org/gb/benefits-of-volunteering-abroad
University open days
- University open days are a fantastic way of finding out about the universities that you are thinking of studying at and the courses you might want to take. Here are some top tips for making the most of your visits: https://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/choices-about-uni/313867-how-to-make-the-most-of-university-open-days
The UK’s 100 most popular employers for school leavers
- Take a look at the 100 most popular employers for school leavers as voted for by school pupils:https://targetcareers.co.uk/school-leavers-100